The Walker kids had it all: loving parents, a big house in San Francisco, all the latest video games . . . but everything changed when their father lost his job as a result of an inexplicable transgression. Now the family is moving into Kristoff House, a mysterious place built nearly a century earlier by Denver Kristoff, a troubled writer with a penchant for the occult.
Suddenly the siblings find themselves launched on an epic journey into a mash-up world born of Kristoff’s dangerous imagination, to retrieve a dark book of untold power, uncover the Walker family’s secret history and save their parents . . . and maybe even the world.
I’m not sure how I feel about House of Secrets. I didn’t love it, but I didn’t hate it either. It was a little disappointing. There was a lot of positive hype surrounding the book. In the end, it turned out to be an okay book. It wasn’t spectacular like people were saying. House of Secrets started out really slow. It took me 200 pages to get into, which is a little less than half the book. The author did not make me feel anything for the characters. I could have cared less whether they had lived or died. However, I do think that some of the elements of the plot were fun. The pirates were fun to read about. Also, Jagger made me laugh. I will probably read the second book in the series when it comes out. However, it won't be very high on my most anticipated list.
I give House of Secrets: 3.5/5.
Want to know where to buy this book?
- Barnes and Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/house-of-secrets-chris-columbus/1113200597?ean=9780062192462&itm=1&usri=9780062192462
- Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/House-Secrets-Chris-Columbus/dp/0062192469/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1379111406&sr=1-1&keywords=house+of+secrets
- Kobo: http://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ebook/house-of-secrets-2
- Audible: http://www.audible.com/pd/Kids/House-of-Secrets-Audiobook/B00BU8LE2E/ref=sr_1_2?qid=1379111341&sr=1-2
- The Book Depository: http://www.bookdepository.com/House-Secrets-Chris-Columbus/9780062192462
I received this ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review. I was in no way compensated for this review.