Friday, January 4, 2013

Piece of Mind by Rob Reger


Synopsis:
Emily the Strange stands for: Do it yourself; think for yourself; be yourself.

In the concluding volume of the story arc that has defined this singular 13-year-old, Emily’s uniquely odd to-do list includes:

1. Lose (and regain) mind
2. Reprogram golem
3. Locate secret book vault
4. Commune with Dead Dark Aunts
5. Rescue Cousin Jakey
6. Redecorate souvenir kiosk
7. Thwart Thought Thief
8. Endure hero worship
9. Grant ancestral enemy’s deepest wish
10. Save cat-napped kitty
11. Summon black rock
12. Defeat Shady Uncles
13. Guard family legacy and claim inheritance!

Lavishly illustrated with trademark black-and-red art, this delightfully quirky story follows Emily on her journey to uncover her family’s mysterious secrets—secrets that are ancient, surprising, and Strange!

My Thoughts:

I love Emily the Strange. Comic books, graphic novels, novels, t-shirts, it doesn’t matter. If it says Emily the Strange on it, I will check it out. The Emily the Strange novels are one of my favorite products. Piece of Mind was no exception to that. In Piece of Mind, Emily has to learn how to harness the power of black rock before her uncle Attikol beats her to it. Compared to the other books in the series, this book felt slow, especially in the middle. It felt like the middle of the book was just random filler that had nothing to do with the story. Other than that, I really liked this story. The plot was fun with Emily getting into her usual mischief. All of the usual characters from the other three books are back, along with some new ones. Out of the new characters, my favorite was Dottie. At first she seems like a complete jerk, but at the end she becomes a likable character. I thought it was great what happened to Raven at the end. It surprised me and made me happy. From how the story ended, and what I could find on the internet, I think that this will be the last book in the series. It’s unfortunate because I really like the series. I’m hoping the author will write more books or a spin-off series. 

I give Piece of Mind: 4/5.

Want to know more about Emily the Strange?
Website: http://www.emilystrange.com/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Emily-the-Strange/115366458320
Twitter: https://twitter.com/EmilyTheStrange
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/EmilyThe13th

I borrowed this book from the library. I was in no way compensated for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment